Red Cedar Zen Community, 1021 N Forest, Bellingham Washington

RCZC Board Minutes 01.31.2009

Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors

meeting agenda                                                                                               Saturday, January 31st 2009

encouraging words

full value contract

We commit:

  • to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
  • to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
  • to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.

In attendance: Tim Burnett, Jeff McKenna, Mary Apple, Brian Davidson

Our Guest’s Business

Guests: no guests were in attendance

Our Old Business

RCZC Name Change: (Review and Discuss Marti’s Comments)

The board reviewed last month’s minutes including the comments on a proposed name change for the Red Cedar Zen Community.  It was suggested that the Red Cedar Dharma Hall could change the logo so it does not match RCZC logo, signifying a separation from the wider hall, its broad membership, and the Zen community. The board appreciates that the Zen community’s name is linked to the hall in which it practices. The board also recognizes that the Red Cedar Dharma Hall itself is non-sectarian and such a distinction is important. 

decision: The board will not pursue a name change at this time, but will continue to develop and encourage a broader non-sectarian affiliation with Red Cedar Dharma Hall separate from the Red Cedar Zen Community.

action: All members of the board will seek out potential designers for the logo. The Secretary will inform BIMS of the intentions for the Red Cedar Dharma Hall logo and request input. 

Potential Renter Letter: for review (Brian):

Postponed pending finalization of lease agreements and use options

action: Brian will bring copies with the rental changes to the next meeting.

The Change Chart: for discussion (Jeff)

The board reviewed the change chart. It was agreed upon that RCZC is a little low on resources, skill and clarity of vision.

decision: Continued engagement around the workgroup structure will strengthen our current deficits. The chart will be held by the Secretary and will be used for evaluation purposes when necessary.

Mini Organizational Chart: handout (Tim):

Tim handed out a draft of the organizational chart, and the board reviewed it.

action: Tim will check with members who have workgroup assignments before finalization. New people will be added, and copies will be distributed.

Communicating and Renewing the Volunteer Structure: for discussion (Tim)

decision: The Board will utilize continue to engage and educate membership and the workgroups using the organizational chart to clarify structure, function, and vision.

action: Mary and Jeff will hold an open training on the Welcome Workgroup’s work in order to increase membership activity within that group, and reemphasize the workgroup structure.   

Community Group Rentals: Proposal (Update Tim)

Tim handed out copies of the rental agreements

decision: Board members will review it individually, and finalize it at the next meeting.

action: Tim will make sure that Gregg Greenan has a copy of the agreement and understands our next steps.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software