Red Cedar Zen Community, 1021 N Forest, Bellingham Washington

11.21.2009 Agenda

Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors

Minutes                                                                                                           Saturday, November 21st 2009

full value contract

We commit:

  • to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
  • to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
  • to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.

Our Guest’s Business

Next Workgroup: Membership and Technology invited by Brian.

Our Old Business

RCDH Logo: Update by Brian. Brian will consult with Talus. He will continue to work on this project as time allows.

decision: Continued at next meeting

Comment Cards:  Update by Brian. Brian will make the appropriate changes to the comment card and send the draft to the board. Brian will also construct the drop box complete with instructions.

Brian will continue to work on this project as time allows.

decision: continued at next meeting

New Treasurer/New VP: The board discussed the volunteer interest survey question and discovered that the results are located on a database on the management website. This database is being constantly updated as we receive new membership forms during the membership drive and throughout the year. The board discussed possible uses of this survey for workgroups and the board to engage members based on volunteer needs. The board will also begin an active search for a new Secretary for Brian to train. Brian will remain Secretary until a new one has taken over all responsibilities, but would like to have the transition complete by the first of the year when he begins graduate school. No new updates available for other board positions.

Previous Action: Tim will add the volunteer interests to the membership list.

Financial Reports: Jeff sent the Finance Committee the Board’s counter proposal. The group discussed that as a sangha we would like to recognize that priests stipends are of intrinsic value. We will continue to make this a goal for the future and we will revisit the subject after the membership month. The finance committee seems to be in favor of the counter offer and the item will be decided on at the next meeting.

Our New Business

Door Codes: The Board discussed the process for getting new members the door codes. During this discussion themes about new member orientations emerged. Within such orientations, codes could be offered and policies communicated. Two methods for providing orientations were discussed; individual and group. Both methods have their benefits and challenges. Ways to communicate and offer orientations to new members were also discussed including targeting potential new members and those who have officially signed up for membership.  This issue will be resurrected during the workgroup presentations at the next meeting. 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software