Red Cedar Zen Community, 1021 N Forest, Bellingham Washington

March 2011 Minutes

Board Meeting – March 9, 2010 – 5:30 – 6:30

Present: Talus, Joan, Tim, Jeff, Edie
Visitors: None

Agenda Development:
Lease decision
Board Meeting schedule
Potlucks
Library and garden reports
Publicity
Budget

Old Business
1. Lease decision.  At recent meeting of Jeff and Tim with landlord Riaz Monjazeb, they reported to him that Red Cedar cannot sustain the current monthly lease payment of $2546. Riaz proposed a reduction to $2200 per month to begin Oct. 1, 2012.  He said this offer stands until September 30, 2011 (one year before the new lease would begin), but after 9/30/11 we would have to renegotiate.  Board discussion was around whether to accept this offer and when to communicate the decision to Riaz.  Decision: a) give ourselves a few more months time to monitor our income, and b) ask Riaz to give us his offer in writing, including the term of the lease.  Action: Tim will ask Riaz for the latter statement.

New Business
1. Board Meeting schedule.  It was decided that we will try meeting once a month, normally on the first Wednesday from 5:00 – 6:30 pm.  Due to school vacation in April, our April meeting will be the second Wednesday, April 13.

2. Potlucks.  As a way to further encourage community, we decided to try having a quarterly potluck at members’ homes.  This would be a purely social event to encourage people to get to know each other better.  The first potluck will be a brunch, from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm on Sunday, April 10, at Edie’s house.  Publicity will go out soon.  Second potluck will be at Talus and Diane’s home at a date to be set in July.

3. Library report.  Joan reported that the library committee of 3 members meets monthly and processes new donations—which are plentiful.  Also new is a CD machine and earphones so that people can listen to CDs in the library.  The library also has two magazine subscriptions—to Tricycle and Buddhadharma.  Noting that the library catalog is available online at our website, it was decided that the library committee should make a sign for the library noting this so that people know where to access it.

4. Garden report. Joan reported that the garden committee of 3 is working to keep up the garden.  They will coordinate with Alborz who has some garden plans.  Also, Tim noted that
Andy’s Lawncare has volunteered to mow and trim our grounds as an ongoing gift to the center.


New Business, cont.

5. Publicity.  Tim noted that he is working with Jeff Krajewski to create “postering kits,”bags with our logo on them all set up with posters, list of locations, thumbtacks, etc. to make it easy for volunteers to poster a manageable area.   Talus suggested that in addition we try selling the bags themselves as a fundraiser.  He will start with 10 bags (at $10 cost; $20 price each).

6. Budget.  Talus plans to meet with Marti to update our goal budget and to see how we are coming with our goal of reaching 3% over our goal by year-end.  Will report next meeting.

Agenda items for next Board meeting:
  • Volunteer chart review and revision (including matching jobs with skills people indicate on their membership forms)
  • Review annual meeting and survey learnings and target what we need to pay attention to
  • Budget report


Meeting adjourned, 6:30 pm.  Next meeting: April 13, 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm

Respectfully submitted, Edie Norton, Secretary – March 11, 2011
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software