Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting –
PRESENT: John, Tim, Talus, Jeff
full value contract
Old Business: None
1. Yard Waste/Compost collection: The board agreed to add yard waste collection to our garbage service from SSC. Talus will call to set this up. It will be collected twice per month.
2. Work Periods: Since work is such an important part of our practice, the board discussed ways to schedule more work periods at the dharma hall. We will try a 6pm to 645pm work period once a month on wednesday evenings, prior to the wednesday night practice, and an additional once a month work period on saturday mornings. We may try to coordinate cleaning tasks with BIMS, perhaps by keeping a cleaning log where each group notes what was cleaned. This might help avoid duplication. When time allows, we may try this last idea.
3. We are continuing to look for a bookkeeper, so far with no luck and will continue to look. Also, the Vice President position on the board is still open. Jeff will ask a couple of members to take on the task of managing the annual fund drive which has been separated out from the membership coordinator responsibilities.
4. Board meetings will now take place at the dharma hall on the first wednesday of the month, from 415pm until 545pm.
5. The finance committee has requested that board members submit their resumes, a job description and estimate of time spent each month so that info can be included in the 501c3 document that is being put together. The committee would like this info by friday, August 9th, and Talus will collect it and put it in the 501c3 application.
6. The board discussed goals for the November fund drive, looking at any specific needs Red Cedar Zen may have. The board is considering using those funds to increase the teacher housing allowance (stipend) paid to Spiritual Director Tim Burnett, which is currently $400 per month. Before making this decision, we would like to give sangha members a chance to comment, so please, if you have any feedback on this issue, talk to one of the board members.
7. Financial report: the net income for the 2nd quarter was $2300.00. This includes the Samish Island sesshin, which is the largest income producer of the year.
8. Next board meeting is Wednesday, September 4th from 4:15pm until 5:45pm at the dharma hall.
Respectfull submitted: John Wiley, secretary
on relationships, process, values and mission
of good value
upholding the contract
sangha on the horizon