Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting Minutesrelationships, process, values and mission
DATE: May 7, 2014
PRESENT: Talus, Jeff, John, Tim Absent Chris
Full Value Contract
review agenda and set time limits
1. Marti has asked the board to send a donation to Everyday Zen in lieu of a gift certificate/thank you for her years of volunteer work in sangha accounting. John will take care of that and indicate that the donation is from Marti.
2. Based on the recommendation of the finance committee, the board approved the increase in Tim's housing allowance to $750.00 per month, starting in June. [Tim's compensation as our Spiritual Director is in the form of a "parsonage" housing allowance as there is a provision for supporting clergy in the tax code that means he doesn't have to pay income tax on the funds and RCZC doesn't have to pay payroll taxes.] The $1,000.00 from the fundraising drive allocated to Tim will be added to this amount, so the monthly payment for the next 12 months will be $833.00. The finance committee and the board will review the housing allowance payment prior to next June. Tim did not vote on this item.
3. 501c3 application for Red Cedar Zen. Talus has a number of tasks to do to move forward on this application and will have time to work on the application and make progress in September.
4. The final draft of Practicing With Difficulty in the Sangha, our the ethics/clear communication policy document was passed out to the board. The board will review this document and comment next month. The document will also be posted on the RCZC website for members to review and make comments. A meeting will be held in the future to go over the document and discuss it with the sangha. Printed copies are available in the lobby.
5. Membership in the Branching Streams organization. Branching Streams is a project of the San Francisco Zen Center. It is an organization of sanghas practicing in the tradition of Suzuki Roshi. After receiving information about this organization the board discussed pros and cons of membership and voted to pay a one time fee of $100.00 and join. The board also voted to join the Northwest Dharma Association for an annual fee of $50.00.
1. Tim will check with his family on their preferences for a donation from the sangha in memory of his step-mother Joan Burnett.
2. Samish sesshin update: The Samish sesshin runs from June 13-June 21 this year which is earlier than previous years. The camp has increased their fees this year, so the cost to participants has also gone up. Norman will be arriving late this year (Sunday afternoon June 15) due to a commitment in California. The board thought it was a good idea for Tim to give the dharma talks on Saturday and Sunday.
3. Building update: The door locks have been problematic. The batteries have been changed, and that should help. We may look into a different style of lock. The library has asked for a drop slot in the door, so people can return books anytime. There has been a request for brighter lights in the zendo. The feasibility of these requests will be explored.
Next meeting will be Wednesday June 4th at 530pm
respectfully submitted John Wiley