Red Cedar Zen Community, 1021 N Forest, Bellingham Washington

Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 2015--10

DATE: October 7, 2015
PRESENT: John, Marti, Ken, Tim, Edie
ABSENT:None
VISITORS: None

Encouraging Words
relationships, process, values and mission

Full Value Contract
We commit:
  • to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
  • to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
  • to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.

Old Business:

1.    Ken Oates was confirmed as board vice president, serving until October 2017.

2.  Backyard visitors update and discussion.   There is sympathy and compassion for those who are homeless and no clear path about how to respond.  The landlord has also expressed compassion and is clear that he does not want homeless people to use the back garden.  Some questions---Do we prevent access via a gate?  Do we ask people to leave if we notice them in the back?  It would be a good idea to have a list of housing resources and other resources to hand out.  The police department advises us to call them rather than deal with homeless people ourselves.  It can be risky to engage with homeless people in the back garden at night since some  have mental health problems and/or substance abuse issues.  We will ask Bob Penny to give us an estimate for building a fence compatible with the garden.  We will start with posting a sign like Parking and use for Red Cedar Dharma Hall only.  We will also talk with BIMS about the situation and revisit this topic at the next meeting.

3.  Follow up on lease negotiations.  The finance committee will address how to collect information on  building expenses and income for use with lease negotiations and to keep BIMS informed in both areas quarterly and yearly.  The first quarter report will be in January 2016.  Tim and Edie will write up some material about negotiating a lease, for use the next time around.

4.  Board job descriptions.   Information was reviewed and updated.  There was some discussion of where to put the information online and what level of access to allow:  members only?  admin only?  general public?  Discussion to be continued.

5.  Process for reviewing and deciding on Tim's monthly stipend.  The board decided to do this review in January, by meeting without Tim to review financial data and some job areas, then have Tim present information about his work and financial need.  The board will clarify what information they use to determine the level of Tim's stipend.

6.  John and Kate will attend the December 9th and 16th class in Understanding Conflict put on by the Dispute Resolution Center.  Because they are sangha stewards, Red Cedar will pay their fees.  Red Cedar will also cover 1/2 of the $75.00 fee for any other sangha members who want to attend.  If we have 3 or more people there, we get a 10 percent discount.  The class size is limited to 20 and some people have already registered, so if you are interested in taking this class,  let John Wiley know as soon as possible.

 

 

New Business:

1. Annual Fund 2015.  The theme is to fund training in the Understanding Conflict class taught by the Dispute Resolution Center.  This will help the sangha use the Clear Communication/Ethical Guidelines document we recently developed. 

2.  Workgroup Reports.  The library workgroup has two new volunteers and much work has been done organizing the collection and putting information online about what is available.  We may need a back up shopper for when the regular shopper is out of town.  We are also in need of garden volunteers for both the front and back gardens.  It may help to use the garden more as part of regular practice at the hall.

3.  Miscellaneous task list.

a)  robes closet---the board ok'd buying a robe closet.  We will need  volunteers to pick it up, deliver it to the hall and put it in place.

b)  Tim finished to annual calendar through 2016.  It is online and posted in the lobby.

c)  Scheduled work days.  How many per year and where in the schedule?  Discussion to be continued.

 

 

Next meeting date: Wednesday November 4th   5-630 pm

respectfully submitted John Wiley

 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software