Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting for: 12 December 2013
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jeff McKenna, Tim Burnett, Talus Latona
VISITORS PRESENT: none
on being present and appreciating each person for who they arefull value contract
1. Annual Appeal - Thank you to Ken and Matt for gathering together the letter and to Terry for arranging it into web pages. On December 1st a short email and a link to three other pages went out to our email list of 650 people. The three other pages regard an overview of the appeal for teacher support, an update on Sangha activities this year, and information on donating. A donor came forward to kick off the drive with a donation of $700. Paper copies of the pages will be in the lobby.
2. Communications Document - Light positive feedback has been received. No particularly deep feedback at this point. Talus is proofing the document and has some suggested changes. The process for inviting stewards was discussed. It can be publicized on the website. Thought was to discuss nominations by the annual meeting, but the job role is not entirely scoped out yet.
3. Bookkeeper Candidates - One has been interviewed, one is being interviewed simultaneous to this meeting, two more interviews are forthcoming. The finance committee had been hoping to contract with someone as an independent business, but since the position is posted as an internship, Marti is researching the paperwork required to have them on our payroll. We will pay them extra to produce a document from their training of how to perform all the tasks required of the position. We are hoping for a 1 year commitment.
4. Clerk Position - Several candidates were discussed. A good portion of the job is computer data entry. Talus will approach potential volunteers.
1. Backyard Rental - The 2 bedroom house behind Red Cedar who we share a lot with is now for rent. $900 per month. The house is vintage and rustic. This could be good for a group of zen renters not materially oriented wanting to live intimately with the zendo, or expanded space for interviews in retreat. The space would be great for our sangha, but we cannot at this time justify the space for what it gets.
2. Rohatsu - The retreat is approaching. The board decides to pay for co-teacher Jeff Kelly's hotel expenses. Talus will coordinate with the retreat manager to make that happen. Another year we could make Rohatsu into a public event in this season of holidays to showcase Buddhism.
3. Annual Meeting - A financial report will be presented by Talus who will have handouts. The Communication document will be presented by Jeff. Our Zen year in review will be presented by Tim. Perhaps John will take notes if he is available.
4. Holidays - There will be no practice on Christmas, Wednesday December 25th but we will make a big push for participation in the New Years ceremony Tuesday December 31st. There will be Wednesday practice on January 1st.
5. Next Board Meeting - The Board will not meet in January, but will meet on February 5 during Practice Period.
Weekly Announcement Messages from the Board