The sangha trip of a lifetime: two weeks exploring sacred sites in Japan
We are moving through the planning process for our exploration of Zen and Japanese culture in Japan in April 2024. Check back regularly here for updates.
Cost: approx $2200 - $2400 / person, we hope to finalize this price soon.
This cost includes pretty much everything during our two weeks together in Japan: lodging, most meals, in-country transportation, admissions fees, costs of special events we'll do together. '
Note that your airfare to Japan is not included. We'll meet in Kyoto and recommend flying in and out of Osaka (not Tokyo).
Deposit: a $500 deposit holds your spot. "Semi-refundable" - if you cancel and we are able to fill your spot we will refund your deposit. If we are unable to it cannot be refunded. We will start accepting reservations soon.
Dates: April 4 - 18, 2024
1) April 4- fly into Osaka and meet the group on Thursday April 4, 2024 in Kyoto (or arrive in country earlier and meet the group in Kyoto).
2) April 5 - 9 - Explore Kyoto's many temples including a visit to Mount Hiei and a day with a "marathon monk" plus a possible visit to nearby Nara.
3) April 9-10 - Visit Eihei-ji, Dogen's temple and one of the two headquarters temple of Soto Zen in Japan.
4) April 10-12 - Visit Rinso-in, Suzuki roshi's temple in Yaizu, staying and meeting with Hoitsu and Shungo Suzuki, Shunryu Suzuki's son and grandson and their families.
5) April 12-14 - Visit Koya-san, the mountain top headquarters temple of Shingon Buddhism. Where our friend Taijo Tanaka trained, we will be staying at his master's temple.
6) April 14 - 17 - Kumano Kodo hiking pilgrimage - 3 days hiking this sacred pilgrimage route with Buddhist and Shinto sacred sites.
7) April 18 - fly out of Okaka (or stay longer for personal touring!)