Red Cedar Zen Community, 1021 N Forest, Bellingham Washington

Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

DATE: August 25, 2016 
PRESENT: Edie, Talus, Ken, Tim, Anne
VISITORS:  Scott Allen, Building Manager

Encouraging Words
relationships, process, values and mission

Full Value Contract
We commit:
  • to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
  • to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
  • to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.

Old Business:

1. Announcements

- BIMS member reported seeing mosquito larvae in back garden waterway. Talus said we have pellets to dispel them. Edie will ask Bob Penny to remedy.

- Edie handed out copies of Norman Fischer's letter with regard to installing Tim as Guiding Teacher and asked the Board to read and give Edie any questions or suggestions to send to Norman.

- We are still looking for a few more volunteers for practice positions. Edie will announce openings after Wednesday evening program.

- Edie reported on John Watt's further gifts to RCZC: wind bell for back yard, planter boxes, wood bench, glass window hanging. Hanging will be installed downstairs.

2. Financials

- Board treasurer handed out Profit & Loss Reports from 1/16—6/16 and 4/16—/6/16. Balance e Expenses are well within budget.

- Finance Committee is almost done with 501(c) (3) application. Talus is finishing it up.

- New bookkeeping software training is currently on the back burner so focus can be on completing the 501 (c) (3) application. Deb (clerk) and John (check writer) are entering expense #s into new bookkeeping software.

- Jaren continues to plan to be bookkeeper using the new software beginning January 2017. Marti will continue as bookkeeper using Quickbooks until 1/2017.

- Regarding BIMS quarterly report of RCZC income on days designated as BIMS days. Talus has not yet determined if this can be automated. He will do so.

3. Spiritual Director Stipend Feedback: Edie distributed results of the feedback from June 29, 2016 Sangha Conversation. There were 12 responses to our survey. Most members who provided feedback were in favor of the Board proposal to increase SD stipend. Only 2-3 indicated they won't increase their member donations.

Responding members expressed satisfaction with current Dana arrangement.

4. New Board Member: No one has come forward or nominated anyone else. Board discussed possible members to invite 1) to fill an at-large Board position, 2) for replacing a current Board member when opening occurs 1/17. Edie will speak with potential candidates to see if any are willing.

5. Dana: What is dana? To whom and when is it appropriate to give dana? The board discussed the meaning and tax implications of dana. The gift of dana is still confusing to some members and to others who are not members. A more complete explanation of dana on the website would clarify the origin and intention of giving dana to teachers.

Ken will look into this addition to the website and also propose a second orientation session for people who have been sitting with us for awhile and have questions about forms and practices.


New Business:

1. Draft Documents for Spiritual Director: Edie presented board members with drafts of: a. Formalization of Spiritual Director's Financial Support; b. RCZC Spiritual Director's Contract Agreement; c. Performance Standards; d. Performance Review process.

The Board will use Dropbox to share and edit documents. The Board will meet again on September 7th to work on the contract and other documents.

2. Rodent Problem Update: Scott Allen, RCZC Building Manager, presented photos and drawings of RCZC basement/crawlspace area where we have experienced rodent activity. Scott also presented the Board with cost estimates to repair all rodent pathways. Scott will complete preliminary work on the building by the end of August. John Wiley has volunteered to help Scott.

Attached is a shot of Scott and John in practice on Friday, August 26. Thank you, Scott and John!

3. Thank you procedure for lump sum gifts: The Finance Committee proposed and Board agreed, that three thank you's be sent for all donations. The first would be when the gift comes in. The Clerk notifies John (check writer) who sends thank you card to donor. The second thank you is sent at the end of the year in the form of the tax receipt is sent. The third recognition is at the January annual meeting, when donors names are read aloud but not the amounts. Names will also be posted on website (in the . Non-cash donations are included but not their value.

4. Sangha support for Kenyan family: The Board discussed the opportunity/possibility of our Sangha supporting Tim's Kenyan family by way of contributing to the cost of a water pump and/or education funding. On Wednesday, August 31, Tim will share this idea with the Sangha and get further input so the decision comes from the Sangha.

Next meeting: September 7 5p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Work on SD documents.


Next meeting date: 

respectfully submitted, Anne Mikkelsen


 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software